Tuesday 20 March 2012

Year 2 Theory

In Year Two Theory on my University Course, I am currently studying Issues and Representations. For my assignment (which I will upload when it is is completed) I had to choose a topic that covers Issues and Representations, inside my chosen sector, Journalism. This was my research question plan. 



Question: What representations of Femininity does FHM offer and what issues does it raise?

Topic: The representation of Women in ‘Lads Mags’ is an on-going and ever growing issue, that provides many negative and positive representations. The most common perception is how its demining and derogatory to Women of Society, and makes Men view Women as sex objects and just an object of desire. They are seen as nothing but a good body and a pretty face. But at the end of the day, these Women choose to be presented in this way, but why?

Issue: From the pages of these magazines, it is becoming very clear that these representations are seen further into society. Is it right for them to be seen as sex objects? And how does this affect the other Women in society. I want to look into what other negative representations these magazines devise.

Object: Mainly looking at 'FHM', but will refer to other publications such as 'Zoo' 'Nuts' etc

Method: Textual and Content Analysis, Focus groups and Interviews/Questionnaires.

No comments:

Post a Comment